Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Wednesday, Day 3
We are mid week in our projects and today we only work till noon. When we here this on Tuesday I think, "I'm no Sally, what is this working only half day". This organization we are working with, United Church of Christ, knows what they are doing, at noon today we are all glad to have the afternoon break. Our backs, shoulders and knees are all sore and the prospect of a full day tomorrow gives us pause. Sara, from UCC, took us on a tour of New Orleans post Katrina. Our first stop was Lakeview where the first breech of the levy took place. The neighborhood is 3 feet below sea level, the water flooded 18ft above ground level in minutes. We saw the new flood gates and rebuilt levy. Next we drove to the lower 9th Ward; over 3000 homes we destroyed here, 1000 lives ended. Driving down the streets we felt like we driving thru a cemetery, we felt the death of a community. Lastly we drove thru rebuilt homes with bright colors and neighborhoods filled with people of all generations. I can see how the devastation is overwhelming, where do you start? How can you possibly make a difference? After being here I believe the only way to help is to get involved, one house, one project at a time. I want to share a quote with you, written on a 2X4 in a shell of a church by a volunteer: Love thy neighbor, no matter who, no matter where.
-Mary
